Wednesday 13 November 2013

Baraje resigns as NRC chairman

The suspended National Chairman of the New Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje, resigned yesterday his appointment as the Chairman of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC).
He said he decided to quit the job as a result of the ongoing crisis in the party.
Baraje’s resignation letter to the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim, is dated November 12.
He said since the post was allotted to PDP and he no longer has confidence in the party’s leadership, it was better for him to resign.
The letter reads: “Please refer to your letter with Ref No. SGF/19/S./81/XV/430 dated May 22nd, 2013, which conveyed Mr. President’s approval of my appointment as chairman of the Nigerian Railway Corporation Governing Board.
“I hasten to express my sincere gratitude to His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebelo Jonathan (GCFR), the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria through your good office for the confidence he placed in my ability to have appointed me to such an exalted position as the Chairman of the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
“His Excellency, Mr. President will recall that this appointment came from his esteemed discretion in allotting some positions to our great party, the PDP.
“However, it is no longer news that there is an ongoing disagreement in principle between some top stakeholders of our party, of which I am among on the one hand and the current leadership of the party on the other.
“This quagmire has upturned my belief in the present leadership of our great party and has consequently made my continued stay as the Chairman of the NRC Governing Board uncomfortable.
“Realising that the position of the NRC chairmanship was allocated to the party and of which I am supposed to symbolise, I would appreciate if your good office could please convey to His Excellency, Mr. President of my intention to relinquish this position with immediate effect because I can no longer represent the interest of the party whose leadership I no longer believe in.
“While pledging my continued loyalty to the Goodluck Jonathan-led administration, I would like His Excellency, Mr. President to please accept the assurances of my highest regard and consideration

No comments: