Sunday 26 January 2014

No big deal in WAEC exams — 9-year-old candidate

Nine-year-old Anjolaoluwa Botoku, who passed English and French at credit levels in the 2013 November/December West African Examination Council exams, talks about her aspirations in this interview with TOBI AWORINDE

 Why did you decide to enrol for the examinations?

It all started when my brothers were studying for an exam and they were so serious about it. I asked them, “Why are you so serious?”  They told me that the exam was hard, so they had to study well for it. I then told them that there was no big deal in sitting for an exam. I later checked their books and discovered that what they were reading was not really tough.  I told them and they said I was claiming to know everything. That challenged me to register for the exams. I wanted to prove to them that I was not boasting.

How old are your brothers?

The first is Babajide. He is studying telecommunications engineering in a private university. He is in part three. The other one, Olujuyin, is in the same school with me. He is 14 years old and in Senior Secondary School II.

Did you tell any other person of your intention to sit for the examination?    

No. I didn’t tell any other person.  I only told my parents.

Why didn’t you tell anyone else?

I felt that if I failed the examination, those I had told would make fun of me. That was why I decided to keep it as a secret between my parents and myself.

Can you remember the subjects you registered for?

I remember I registered for seven subjects: Mathematics, English, French, Food and Nutrition, Yoruba and Christian Religious Knowledge… I can’t remember the last one.

Why did you sit for only English and French?  

I sat for only English and French because by the time I made up my mind on other subjects, registration was closing.  There were also no teachers to teach me. My parents were the only ones available to assist me.

Have you ever considered skipping classes to a higher one?

I have never thought of that. I think if I do that, I wouldn’t be mature enough to face challenges in the upper classes. Also, there is no way I can learn things taught in the classes I skipped.

What do your parents think of you moving to a higher class?

My parents think the same thing. They think I won’t be well prepared for a higher class if I skip classes. Also, I don’t think I would be able to cope.

How do they encourage you to study?

They always advise me to have a positive attitude and to do the right thing at the right time. They also often tell me to go for whatever I want and I shouldn’t let anything or anybody stop me from doing what I want to do.

What are your hobbies?

I like swimming, dancing, singing and reading.

What do you want to be in future?

I want to be a medical doctor.

Why do you want to become a doctor?

I want to save sick people’s lives. Doctors are well respected in any society. They are also intelligent people. It is a profession for bold and intelligent people.

What are your favourite subjects?

My favourite subjects are Mathematics, Science, Art, English and French. I like Science a lot.

How often do you watch television?

I don’t watch too much television. Although I like watching educational programmes, I like watching movies.

What kind of books do you read?              

I like to read science encyclopaedias and French books.

How long does it take you to read a book?

It depends on the book. But if I can’t finish a book, I fold the page where I have stopped to continue the following day.

What book did you read last?

The last book I read is The Seven Wizards and Other Stories. I really can’t remember the name of the author.

Who is your favourite author?

My favourite author is Charles Dickens.

Are you involved in any activity in school?        

I am a member of my school’s French Club.

Have you ever won any academic award?

Yes, I won the Spelling Bee competition when I was in Grade 2. I have won it every year since.

How often do you study? 

There is no particular time for me to study. I study anytime.

Do your parents have a study time-table for you?

No, they don’t. They allow me study whenever I like.

Who are your role models?

I once read about a girl named Alia Sabur. She sat for her secondary school examinations when she was just 10 years old. She graduated at 14. She later became the youngest professor ever at 18 years of age. She is my role model.

What is your advice to pupils?

I want them to stay focused and be serious with their education. They should cultivate a good reading habit. I also want the government to build libraries and install Internet facilities in them, to encourage pupils who don’t have access to the Internet and to places where they can read. Pupils need to learn in a good environment. I also want to see more children committed to education. There should be a positive attitude towards education. They must be encouraged to acquire new skills and knowledge and be hard working. They need a good attitude to be successful in life. But also, government needs to play a big role in installing Wi-Fi and constructing libraries around schools in Lagos State and other parts of the country.

No comments: