Saturday 4 October 2014

I was lured into robbery to raise N25,000 school fees, says undergraduate arrested with girlfriend

Delta Police have arrested an undergraduate of the state-owned university and his lover for their alleged role in armed robbery. Raphael Ekarebe, 22, is a 300 level student of the Department of Political Science at Delta State University, Abraka, while his girlfriend, identified as Endurance Akpore, is a student of Shaka Polytechnic in Edo State.

The duo were paraded along with 14 other suspects in Asaba for alleged crimes ranging from armed robbery, kidnapping, trafficking in fake currency notes and rape. Ekarebe, who confessed to participating in the crime, said he was forced into crime due to his inability to raise N25,000 for school fees, adding that his indigent mother could not afford to pay his fees.
His words: ‘’We went to rob a man of his car at Agbarho. I am a member of the gang; it was my first time. I am a student in Delta State University, Abraka, and we are starting our exams soon. I came from the school because we will be starting exams this week and I have a problem with my school fees.
So, I went to meet my girlfriend she promised to give me N5,000, but the money was not enough. So, I went to meet my friend called Makolomi who promised to give me some more money.’’ He said his friend, who promised to give him money, however, lured him into crime, taking advantage of his financial situation. He added that he was not aware that they were going on a robbery operation.
According to him, he participated in the robbery because he was desperate to raise the money to pay his school fees. His words: ‘’I did not know we were going for a robbery operation. When we reached the place, we intercepted a man and showed him a gun; the man ran away leaving his car.
I participated in the robbery because I was in need of money to pay my school fees which is N25, 000. My mother cannot pay my school fees because she has no money.
We are five children.’’ He said he would not return to a life of crime if he is set free, adding that this robbery operation was his first attempt. His lover, 23-year-old Endurance Akpore, who also claimed to be a student, said she met the suspect three months ago and they became friends.
She said she went to the residence of Raphael Ekarebe to remove his belongings, adding that someone else had, however, gone ahead of her to remove them. The Delta Police image-maker, DSP Tina Kalu, said the gang had allegedly terrorised Ughelli and environs in recent times, adding that the Police made a break by acting on a tip-off.

No comments: